Welcome to new club members, Yvonne Briody, Louise Lei Huan and the return of Malachy Sheeran.
The following is a summary of some upcoming and recent events in the club. Apologies if I’ve missed some highlights.
New Club website
We will need a couple of people to keep the Site live with information, if anyone thinks they would like to be involved with that please contact Martin or Maire.
Congrats to club member Wendy Szarnek and Husband John whose son Mark won a Swimming 4X200m relay medal in the Commonwealth games this summer.
This past 6 weeks or 7 weeks has seen lots of activity again and a number of events that people have been taking part in. Great to see all the activity. Some of the major achievements and activities are as follows :
- Tryone 70.3 Triathlon- Crevan
- Club Swim – Two Mile Gate – Pier Head – Congrats to Sarah Prendergast for doing this distance in an event for the first time
- Moylussa- IMRA running event- Loretto, Brenda, Monika
- Ring of Clare Sportiff- Eric,Mattie, Arthur, Majella, Mark, Felipe, Joe, Crevan, Art, Katrina, ++
- Galway Bay Swim – Geno Quinlan
- Garnish Swim(Glengarriff)- Lilly, Katrina, Sarah P, Georgina, Antoinette
- Kilkee Bay Swim- Joe, Lilly, Katrina, Donagh
- Malbay Swim- Bobby, Dee K, Lilly, Katrina, Fiona, Donagh
- Fenit Triathlon- Gary
- Club Fun Triathlon, Aug 12th. Well done to Katrina Bradley for doing her first triathlon at this event.
- Castleconnell Triathlon, -Brendan Watson, Katrina, Dean Power, Wendy, Maire
- Ironman Cork, Well done to Joe who completed the 70.3 (half) and Felipe, Crevan and Mike Kelly who completed the 140.6 (Full Ironman)
- UTMB (Ultratrail Mount Blanc) 147km Mountain Trail event – Well done Mike Kelly in doing this a week after his Ironman,
- Lost Sheep- Congrats Lilly O’Dea completing this inside 6 hours
- The Kerry Way- Mountain Trail run approx 100km. Congratulations Monika Tupa great achievement
- The Island Swim- Maire, Georgina, Bobby, Dee K, Sarah C, Niall
- Glin Triathlon- Ciara
- Carrigaholt Swim- John C, Lilly, Katrina, Geno
- Glendalough Swim- Ciara, Georgina, Ruth
- Masters Hill running Open event on World Championship course – Dee F, Loretto
Not all events or people who took part are mentioned but the above is a selection of what was happening.
Some upcoming activities/events of note are :
Swimming – (Point of Contact Donagh O’ Sullivan)
Unfortunately in recent weeks, with the good weather, the water condition has not been great and some of our Thursday sessions did not happen.
We will however have our Bail and Flail (3km)and Tri a Swim (500m or 1 km)events on Sunday the 25th of September from Two Mile Gate to wrap up the clubs open water organised activities for the year. An event will be set up on one of the Event Apps for register for these swims and in particular for the 3km swim get in early as it is open to outside clubs and usually fills up fast. I’ll give members advance notice so that if you are interested you can get in to it.
Well Done to all who took part and supported our club swim Two Mile Gate to Pier on Friday the 22nd of July, it was a great success and it was good to see some people take on that distance for the first time.
Running (Point of contact Gary Madden)
Gary is starting the Tuesday night interval sessions in Clarisford park at 7.15pm on Tuesday nights starting from next Tuesday 6th of September. These are a great way to build up a bit of speed and are a painless event, every runs at their own pace.
Note : Quest Lough Derg is taking place next Saturday in Killaloe : Sat 10th Sept, Good luck to all taking part in this. Looks like there will be a good turnout from the club for this one.
Cycling: (Point of contact Martin Pearl)
Sunday cycles (Three groups ) 8am from Aldi . If you’re starting back or new to the club reach out to Martin and he will advise how best to start off.
Wednesday evening cycles 7pm from Aldi- These will likely be coming to an end soon, Check on VIBER if there is a group going out to join on Wednesday evenings if you plan to cycle.
Note : There are a couple of Sportifs coming up : Tour de Beara Sat 10th Sept, Velo Kenmare Oct 22nd, Fort2Fort Oct 29th. Good luck to all heading down to Cork for the Beara event next weekend..
Anyone taking part in events in the coming weeks, enjoy them. Enjoy the activity and keep safe and injury-free if possible.